Pain Medication for Back Pain
Almost everyone is familiar with this unpleasant sensation when the back is shackled from pain and there is neither the ability nor the desire to move. And if pain occurs regularly, disrupting a person’s habitual lifestyle, then immediate, qualified help is required. Do not joke with this!
In addition, doctors have categorically opposed to self-prescribing any pain medicine, because the problem of back pain is an individual one. All people are different and, accordingly, each person’s back pain occurs for various reasons, is localized in various places and has an unequal duration. Each individual case requires a private approach and treatment.
Fortunately, modern pharmaceutical companies annually replenish the existing arsenal of drugs that can cope with pain. Therefore, today, doctors no longer doubt whether it is necessary to take painkillers. The only question is how to choose them correctly so that the pain syndrome diminishes or is completely eliminated.
The main methods of dealing with back pain
In medicine, there are three main methods used in the treatment of back pain.
- Drug therapyincludes, including the use of painkillers. In terms of their composition, these drugs are divided into three groups: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, analgesics and muscle relaxants (drugs that relieve muscle spasms). In addition, patients must be prescribed vitamins of group B in combination with topical preparations.
- Non-drug therapyconsists of the creation and maintenance of special conditions for the patient’s back – physical therapy, the use of special devices that support the spine and orthopedic mattresses, moderate motor regimen, physiotherapy.
- Surgical interventionis an extreme measure, which is used for severe forms of spinal curvature,hernia of intervertebral discs, etc.
Pain medication groups
Analgesics are a significant group of drugs that can reduce or eliminate pain. They are divided into two types: narcotic and non-narcotic.
- Narcotic analgesics– a powerful tool for painful sensations in the back. Severe chronic pain in patients is often relieved with opioid analgesics. If we take into account the effect of anesthetic action, they can be divided into weak (tramadol, hydrocodone, codeine, propoxyphene) and strong drugs used to eliminate unbearable pain (methadone, feminine, morphine, hydromorphone). The pain of average intensity is removed with the combined preparations containing compounds of weak opioid analgesics.
Despite the effective elimination of pain, these drugs are used by experts with extreme caution and only when absolutely necessary. As you know, drugs have a detrimental effect on the nervous system, and with frequent use can cause physical dependence.
- Non-narcotic painkillers.They are also divided into non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and analgesics, which have the ability to lower the temperature and anesthetize. The second group is a well-known analgin and paracetamol. Moreover, they produce analgin as a separate drug, and as part of other means (a bargain, tempalgin, benign, etc.)
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have a triple effect: they cope with infectious inflammation, lower body temperature and eliminate pain. The most common drug in this category is diclofenac sodium. Pharmaceutical companies produce it separately and as part of drugs such as viral, dicloberl, Voltaren, ortofen, diclofenac, cloven, naklofen, and others. It is worth noting that this group also includes acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), as well as the drugs in which it is contained (askofen, ibuprofen, cinnamon, chlothasol, indomethacin, etc.).
Classification of drugs used externally for back pain
- Drugs, which include analgesics, anti-inflammatory substances, and nonsteroidal drugs.
At present, Fastum Gel has received the greatest demand. It is successfully used to relieve the pain of various origins (menstrual back pain, hypothermia, postoperative and post-traumatic pain, renal colic).
Not bad responses and about such modern domestic preparations, as Fast (analog of Fastum Gel), ketoprofen-containing means Ketonal, Finally, Fibroid. The most popular products that contain nimesulide include ibuprofen, diclofenac, and indomethacin.
- Combined preparations intended for topical treatment have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. As a result of their action, tissue regeneration improves, hematomas dissolve and blood flow in the vessel is restored. DoloBene gel has proven itself as an analgesic for back pain, which is accompanied by edema.
- Drugs that are characterized by analgesic and local irritant effect. These include Kapsikam, Finalgon, Analogs cream, Apizatron, Nikofleks and other medicines that are able to dilate blood vessels and ensure blood flow to the inflamed areas. This stimulates the metabolism, begins active nutrition of tissues and improvement of the general condition.
- Local chondroprotection Arthrocin and Chondroxide, due to the active components contained in their composition of dimethyl sulfoxide and chondroitin, can slow down the processes of degeneration and restore cartilage tissue.
- Homeopathic preparations that improve metabolism, stimulate cartilage tissue, prevent its destruction, and stop pain syndrome are also actively used.
- The latter group of drugs intended for the treatment of pain in the lumbar region and back includes combined means, medical cosmetics, and massage balms, which are based on herbal extracts. This extensive group of medicines includes a mummy, bee venom, bear bile, etc.
- Due to the action of powerful natural ingredients in the treatment process, it is often possible to achieve a good therapeutic effect. Doctors on a par with patients recommend drugs such as ointment “Comfrey”, cream “Shungit” and “Sophia”, gel “Ardrossan” and the balms of Valentin Dikul. All these tools are used in complex treatment for back pain due toosteochondrosis, lumbago,radiculitis, injuries, and hypothermia.
Summing up, I would like to emphasize that this article is intended for reference only. Do not be lazy to make an appointment with a doctor, because only a qualified physician, after examining the history and examinations, will be able to choose the right medicine and prescribe the appropriate treatment.